GrandmaAlice

Monday, September 03, 2007

Is the world getting smaller

Our teenage granddaughter just returned this past week from a mission trip to India. A 65 year old friend left today to spend a year teaching English in China. An 85 year old friend shared in Sunday School class yesterday about her trip to Ireland and England. We have nieces for whom Guatemala, Japan, Tanzania, Czech Republic, Malaysia have been “home” for extended periods of time. One of my cousin’s sons flies to Europe several times a year on business. When did the world get so small, and so accessible to people of all ages?

I was an older teen before I ever got outside the states of Oregon and Washington. I remember when the 30 mile drive to Portland was a major trip. And my first airplane ride was after we were married and were on our way to Costa Rica for language study. I jokingly say I didn’t put my weight down on the seat the entire flight! And now – I have survived the flight to and from Peru/Bolivia 4 times. The flight to visit our kids and grandkids in Indiana this summer was anticipated not feared. And the 2,800+ mile drive round-trip to Colorado to visit our kids and grandkids was no big deal.

The advances in technology for travel and communication have changed remarkably in the past 65 years. To think that I can communicate instantaneously literally around the world is astounding, yet has become common-place. Media coverage of world-wide events as they happen is the norm. When did the world get so small?

Yet all this increased awareness of the world in which we live must pale in comparison to how God sees us. To Him, time and distance is irrelative. At the same moment, He sees the plight of the invisible children, hears the hopeless cry of the Devadasi and her daughters, is aware of the new Christians who are being chained and beaten to try to persuade them to denounce their faith in Christ, sees the homes and lands of the already poverty-stricken as they are washed away by floods, feels the discouragement of missionaries for whom so much seems to be going wrong. And yes, even in the face of these humanly insurmountable happenings, also hears my heart’s longing for a closer relationship with Him.

I am so thankful that the world isn’t getting smaller or bigger for God. It’s just right for His personal involvement, care, love for each and every one of His creation at each and every moment of time. Lord, just help that reality to make a difference in how I face today.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello to every one and may God bless you today. I come to you to ask if you will help in sharing the vision that God has given me. I will try to make this short . If you will, please read all of this bulletin so you will understand what God is leading me to do. First of all I am the Pastor of Tree of Life Ministries and I have been in the ministry for 10 yrs. God has lead me from Pastoring a Baptist Church of about 60 people to Establishing a ministering Church of 10 to help the needy, fatherless, widows, and our missionaries. I AM NOT ASKING YOU FOR MONEY, but I am asking you to help us help others and I will tell you how you can do that.
    " It is very simple"
    I have created web sites of many interest, Fishing, Golf, Nascar, Pets, Etc. and I will continue creating them with other interest. I am working on a Christian site as we speak. How I am asking you to help is to go to my sites that I have created and browse the pages. When you go to my sites, browse on the blue box ads and that will help with Gods vision of helping others.
    Here is my web sites

    Home Page: www. kmtproductsinc. com

    www. kmtproductsinc. com/fishing
    www. kmtproductsinc. com/pets
    www. kmtproductsinc. com/golf
    www. kmtproductsinc. com/recipes

    I also want our young people "and every on else" to realize that being a Christian is exciting. You can be a Christian and enjoy this life also.

    ( l Timothy 6:17-18) says that God is the one who giveth us richely all things to enjoy. As you see on my profile when God gives you things of material that we are to use them for his glory. ( l Cor 10:31).

    This is the help that I am asking you for. You can help Tree of Life Ministries help others while you keep your Tithes and Offering to your local church or ministry.

    If you will, help spread the word and pass this bulletin on to all your friends, family and Brother and Sisters in Christ.


    Thank You and God Bless Your efforts

    Tree of Life Ministries
    Pastor, Scotty Thomas

    P.S. I will ad more info and pictures about Tree of Life Ministries later as we get more astablished in our building. We expect to be in or church building mid Janurary 2009. More about me. www.myspace.com/digem6

     

Post a Comment

<< Home